Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE gas stove and one of the main burners will only…

I have a GE...

I have a GE gas stove and one of the main burners will only light part way. (8 o'clock-4 o'clock) I bought a new part but it still is not lighting. :(

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

5 years at most

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would prefer not to have to call for service

I have already tried cleaning the holes in the burner and then replacing the part.....still won't work.
8/17/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Thank you! If you lift the burner cap off, just the cap, you will see the brass orifice at the bottom of the burner. Do you see that part?

It looks like a hex head with a hole in the middle.

Use a piece of wire with the insulation stripped from the end of it to clean that out and you should restore normal flame. Let me know what happens.

The wire isn't staying straight enough to clean. Can I use a pin?

Sure, just don't use anything that can break off (like a toothpick).

The pin won't go in very much and when I tested after, it still won't fully light

Does that hole look as clear as it can get?

Okay, so the valve is likely faulty and not allowing enough gas through to the orifice. What burner position is it that you are having the trouble with?

Front right

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

You bet!

Is that knob the farthest one to the right?

See the link below...

CLICK HERE

No the second knob from the right.

Gotcha, thank you! I am uploading the service manual for you because there is a good deal of disassembly involved to replace it.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

I can replace this myself?

Yes, if you can perform some disassembly. I will send you the manual and then you can decide if you want to attempt it.

The complete service manual may be downloaded at the link below. Let me know if you have trouble downloading it.

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive zero credit for my work. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

Okay! I will give it a shot. I have a couple handy sons in law that I will recruit! Thanks so much

Right on, put them to work! :~)

Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, Appliance Technician