Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Kenmore side by side Fridge, Model number 106

Customer Question

We have a Kenmore side by side Fridge, Model number 106 41269801. The fridge side is warm. The fan is working and we found frost on the bottom half of the coils when I took the inside back panel off. I cannot find steps to put it into diagnostic mode in order to figure out if it is the heater, the thermistor, or the control panel. Can you help me diagnose the problem?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: that model number I entered should be the exact model number. It should be a 2012 model, but I am going to go check. Will text you back in a moment. It was made in 9/11.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Most likely.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: How do you get paid?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: Debit card will work. What is the rate?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

The fridge cools by stealing air from the freezer, so if frost is build up behind the lower back panel inside the freezer, that stops the air from going to the refrigerator section. You'll need to thaw out all the frost with a hair dryer and that will get it working again. To prevent the frost from coming back you'll need to see what defrost component has failed. By far the most likely culprit is the defrost control board up inside the control panel of the refrigerator section so below is a link to the part. If you have a multimeter you can test continuity through the defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the frosted silver coils and the defrost thermostat which clips onto the top of the frosted silver coils. If either one of them does not have continuity---replace it. If they both have continuity, replace the defrost control board.

CLICK HERE for defrost control board

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?