Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Our Maytag Bravo washer has started tripping the circuit

Customer Question

Our Maytag Bravo washer has started tripping the circuit breaker on final spin cycle. We had an electrician check the power source and could find nothing wrong. He visually checked for any loose wires on the washer itself and everything seemed fine. The machine is about 20 months old and this problem developed over the last month. We wash only for the two of us so load capacity is small and the load balance seems fine as it spins. -- Thanks.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: W10783959A Maytag Bravo about 20 months old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, unless it s covered by warranty.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

What is the complete model number off the tag on the unit?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
MOD: MVWX655DW1
SER: C53943628

How fast does it spin before blowing the breaker?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Full speed, but stops after about 30 seconds.

That typically would be a board issue you may have a failed triac on the board then it will send voltage to the motor the opposite direction and will blow the breaker. Have you checked under it for any signs of leaking? Just in case it is a water issue or something like that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Was able to examine carefully and no signs of leaking, present or past.

OK if that is all ok I would say it is a defective board I have run across that quite a few times with that same issue. You may want to call Whirlpool and see if they will do something for you as the part is about $300

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will be checking out a new control board. My credit card had an additional $25.00 charge. If you can clear that up, I won't have to dispute it. -- Thanks

I am not sure I have not been paid anything, the site will only pay me only if you supply good star rating. I have nothing to do with any credit card charges.