Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a front loader washer and need to winterize it each…

Customer Question
I have a front...

I have a front loader washer and need to winterize it each Fall. I follow the instructions furnished with the washer, but every Spring when I start it up, the mixer has frozen and cracked and must be replaced. How can I get the water out of the mixer? The winterizing instructions cover only the drum (at least this is what my plumber who charges me $250.00 for replacing the mixer each spring!!) Please help!!

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Model # FFFW5000QWO Serial # 4C43404139. Purchased in early June, 2015. I have replaced the mixer twice--June of 2016 and June of 2017

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, we winterize ourselves each Fall.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just need to know how to get the water out of the mixer or get RV antifreeze in it somehow!!

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

To clean out the mixing valve, you'll need to turn the washer off and disconnect the water lines behind the washer. Leave the washer plugged in and start a normal cycle on warm water. Push your hand over one of the receptacles on the back of the washer where your fill hoses used to connect. Then blow compressed air through the other receptacle for about 15 seconds. Next, place your hand over the other receptacle and then blow compressed air through the other opposite receptacle. That will blow out the mixing valve from water being inside. It'll go into the dispenser and down into the tub.

Do NOT try to put antifreeze in the mixing valve or you'll have bigger problem rather than just replacing the mixing valve next spring.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.