Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Neither oven igniters glow red. They look fine. Is there a…

Customer Question
Hi neither oven igniters...

Hi neither oven igniters glow red. They look fine. Is there a fuse somewhere?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Whirlpool sf362lxts0

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

10 years old

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/6/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

There is not a fuse, but your particular model doesn't have glowing igniters either. This has a very complex system with a DSI board (direct spark ignition board also called a spark module) which reads the gas valves coils and checks the resistance to make sure everything is good with the valve. This board also serves other functions like sends out the actual spark to light all the burners and cuts out the gas if it doesn’t detect the flame has ignited. If the system is working properly the bake and the broil will click three times when you turn the oven on. If you only hear one or two clicks, you have a bad DSI board or a bad gas valve. There are 3 terminals on the gas valve so you need to check the resistance from the top terminal to the middle terminal, and the middle terminal to the bottom terminal. You should get a reading of approximately 210 ohms. If you don’t get a reading within 10% of that number, you need to replace the valve because even though only one coil may be bad, the DSI board will stop all oven function as soon as it detects there is a problem with one of the coils.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.