Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Maytag Bravo washer, even on "high water wash" is not…

Customer Question
My Maytag Bravo washer...

My Maytag Bravo washer, even on "high water wash" is not using enough water in my machine and I'm getting a lot of damage on my clothes. How do I adjust it so the water level is higher?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Just bought it at Lowes last month.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

5.3 cu ft high efficiency top load washer MVWB835DW

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes, I do the work myself. Not enough water in the machine to wash clothes! I even peeked in when the high level washing was going on, and it barely covers the clothes.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/6/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Are you there, Tyler?

Unfortunately this is a common complain on these washers because they are high efficiency so they are better for the environment, however not as great at washing adversely. There is absolutely no adjustment to the water level anymore because the government required manufactures to remove any adjustments on HE washers. The water shouldn't even cover the clothing when on high level and on low level you just see wet clothing, not real water in the tub. That is how they are designed. There is nothing that can be changed to alter this way the unit works. If your dealer allows it, you can return the washer and get another one that is a front loader and some people now prefer that style for these HE washer styles.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

That's awful. Is there a washing machine made currently (I don't care if it's HE or not) that actually fills the tub?
Top loading, not front loader.

Not anymore in the US because to meet energy star standards, it must be an HE model.

Okay, not US made, but foreign ... Samsung, Whirlpool, etc.?

That I'm not sure about since I live and work in the US. I'm not familiar with regulations that other governments enforce.

What would happen if I hooked a hose from my faucet in the stationary tub and added more water to wash cycles?

You would get an overfill error code. The washer has a pressure switch which can determine if too much water was added to the tub.

Okay. Thanks. It's either agitate the clothes too much or save the environment. Have a good day.

Correct. If it's mostly the delicate clothes having problems, you can buy a mesh delicates bag at department store like Wal Mart or Target which are becoming popular because of this issue. You just put the clothes in the bag, then put the bag in the wash and it stops them from getting damaged.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?