Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag washer spins and empties water but does not agitate.

Customer Question

maytag washer spins and empties water but does not agitate.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's close to 20 years old. Model # is etched in aluminum tag and difficult to read ... need time to ink it and show a light on it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I replaced a clutch in a GE many years ago and am quite mechanically adept.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If you can wait, I can try and get the model #.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Do you hear the motor running when the washer should be agitating or is it 100% silent?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The motor is running but the agitator does not work.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
An "expert" should not take this long to respond?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

It takes time to type unfortunately. OK then unfortunately that means your transmission has failed. The only difference between agitation and spin is that the motor reverses directions. If the washer still spins, then the motor is still connected to the transmission which means that the transmission isn't doing it's job when the motor spin in the clockwise rotation.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How big a job and how expensive is the transmission. Should I junk the washer?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

It's unfortunately not worth fixing. The cost of replacing the transmission is about $350 just for the part along and another $150 to have someone replace it because it requires specialty tools. It's really time to think about getting a new washer at this point.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks & good bye.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Not a problem and I'm sorry about the bad news once again. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.