Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Whirlpool ice maker bin bounces up when the auger tries…

Customer Question
My Whirlpool ice maker...

My Whirlpool ice maker bin bounces up when the auger tries to stir the ice. The latches seem to be okay, but the auger stops and won't feed ice.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's about six years old. Mosel # GC5SHAXV000

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably. It doesn't seem too difficult. I just don't know why the bin keeps rising.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/5/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 11 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you!

Is anything in the bin like a frozen chunk of ice?

No, it's been completely emptied.

When you say it bumps can you take a video or explain what is bumping? I am signing off for the night though get back to me tomorrow, thanks

Sorry for the late reply, I got sick over the weekend. When the auger hits a the ice the bin will lift up. This seems to lift it off of the drive shaft a bit and it slips. If I hold the bin down, I can't stop the auger from moving. But when I let go, it lifts up a bit and the auger stops. I still hear the motor running, but it doesn't drive the auger. The latches seem to be locked in place ok.

The lock is working holding the bin down correct?

It appears to be locked in position. I can't really see it.

Can you remove the bin and check under it?

I have checked the bottom and everything appears fine.

Can you take a video of it and send a link to me to watch this?

I'll try. i don't have enough hands.

OK sounds good!