Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a maytag refrig with french doors and bottom freezer.

Customer Question

Hello,I have a maytag refrig with french doors and bottom freezer. It has ice and water on door. Lately I have had to defrost the freezer! It gets a sheet of ic ebuild up that is at least 1/2 inch and it takes about 3-4 before I have to take out my blow dryer.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: About 7-8 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would prefer not to but my magtag washing machine that was bought at the same time just died and I hired a repair man ($89) to walk in and tell me it would cost 600 to repair
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No but the stove I bought at the same time won"t lock anymore so I can't clean the oven! Kind of not doing well with appliances!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

That is a blocked defrost drain line in the freezer, you need to remove the items in the freezer section. Once they are all out remove the back panel INSIDE the freezer to get at the evaporator and Defrost Drain pan under the evaporator. You will see it is all iced over. You need to melt all the ice and that will expose a DRAIN HOLE towards the middle of the drain pan under the evaporator. Clear that out with a steamer, hot water with a turkey baster or compressed air Make sure the drain is working by pouring a half cup of really hot water down it and it should drain nice and fast If so put the unit back together and it will be all fixed!

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.