Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The control panel on my Maytag neptune clothes dryer is warm…

The control panel on...

The control panel on my Maytag neptune clothes dryer is warm to the touch even when the dryer is not in use.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 12 years old. Model number MDE5500AYW

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably not -- depends how complicated it is.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. I just want to make sure it is safe to use.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the control panel is hot, it means that your display control board either has a run on logic error internally, or the board is shorting out. Either way, try to unplug the unit for an hour and see if that resets the electronics. If not and it keeps getting hot, the display board will need to be replaced because it's failing. The display board you need is part number 33003028 which is no longer made unfortunately so the only way to fix it would be to send it to a place like Core Centric Solutions to have the board refurbished. That typically costs about $150-200 and takes about 1 week.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc