Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The ice maker flap on our Whirlpool refrigerator was not air…

Customer Question
Hi! The ice...

Hi! The ice maker flap on our Whirlpool refrigerator was not air tight so we were getting a build up of ice in the freezer. I opened it up today and saw that one of the hard plastic circular brackets was broken so everything was out of line. Do I have to get a whole new unit to fix this or is there some kind of bracket I can use by pulling off the old bracket?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model WHIRLPOOL MODEL ED5FVGXWS08

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm going to try to do so

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can't think of anything else

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/5/2017
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago
travis webb

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. Sadly the whole ice maker will need to be replaced.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Whirlpool-Refrigerator-Ice-Maker-Assembly/WPW10190965/1471727?modelNumber=ED5FVGXWS08&ss=a4b5i187d1136408&mr=1

Please note that we here at JustAnswer are on an honor system. I am only credited for my time in the event you rate with 3-5 stars at the top. I do hope that I have earned a 5 star rating from you this today. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

No, it's the THROUGH THE DOOR DISPENSER that's the issue, not the actual icemaker. One of the hooks that holds the spring where there a long post running through it has been sheared off somehow. I'm having problems finding a part to replace that whole through the door dispenser part.
surely the fact that there's a buildup of ice and flap is loose would have given you a clue that it has nothing to do with the icemaker in the freezer but the door chute.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

I thought when you said you opened it up meant that you opened the door and coming from the ice maker. Ok so here is a blow out of your dispenser door parts. Since I can not see the part you are looking for or looking at Maybe this blow out will assist with figuring out which part it is that has broken. You will want to scroll over to the diagram should be number 8 but if not it says dispenser front.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/ED5FVGXWS08/1198/0165000.html?searchType=modelSearch&q=ED5FVGXWS08&searchTerm=ED5FVGXWS08

The part that's broken is in the housing of everything else. I would need part number 1-
the whole thing without the inside parts (which looks like it's not available). If you look at dispenser front and see parts #4 and #5. Those are hanging on two small round plastic things that come off the back wall of the dispenser. One of those has sheared off. I need replace that whole insert. Do you understand what I'm referring to. The part that's broken cannot come off as it's part of the back wall.
From what I'm seeing: "Ice chute door hinge pin WP2196195 attaches the ice dispenser door to the dispenser housing and lets you open or close the door". It looks like I need the 'housing'.
Any advice? or thoughts on this?
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

ok so sadly the part that you are needing the dispenser housing is not sold. You can scroll down to page 13 this is part of the service manual for your unit. The best option you may have is to call Whirlpool and see if there is anything that they can do for this. The only option that I can think of would be to replace the entire door which will be very expensive.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sm-backend-production-attachments/09001a508020ab61/Repair%20Part%20List%20-%20W10450579%20-%20Rev%20A.pdf

travis webb
travis webb
travis webb