Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

New fridge stopped cooking and freezing. A year old. Magic…

Customer Question
New fridge stopped cooking...

New fridge stopped cooking and freezing

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

A year old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Magic chef

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes I'll do it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/5/2017
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago
travis webb

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. Have you tried unplugging it for 5 minutes to do a hard reset? Is anything running on the unit at all? The fans the compressor?

I unplugged it but it did not reset.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

Is anything running on the unit at all? The fans the compressor?

I did see a relay looking black square with a " pushable" rod that I pushed all the way inside
It was next to compressor
I feel the freezer fan a little but not so much the fridge
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

ok is the compressor running hot or warm? There should be a fan in the freezer running and a fan that is next to the compressor.

That rod was just a lock rod I guess
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

yes that's a capacitor. So if its been unplugged that could have caused the issue. You will need to give it a little while to see if the temp starts running any better.

Hard to tell if the fan is running.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

there is the fan in the freezer. You should be able to hit the door switch that turns the light off. You should be able to hear the fan then. If you cant hear it we will need to remove the wall panel from the inside of the freezer to check out the fan.

It was not cooling before I unplugged it though
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

ok so were going to need to check that fan.

Yeah. Fan is not moving
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

ok so that means your fan motor has went bad and is going to need to be replaced.

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

I will need your model number for your fridge to pull up the correct part.

HVDR1043
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

thats not the model number. Its going to be located on the inside of the fridge door.

HVDR1040B
That's right by the word MODEL
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

here we go this is the cheapest I am able to find the fan motor

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/10285401/Magic_Chef/50240401000Q/Fan_Motor_(Hdr1040w_b_s)

Please note that we here at JustAnswer are on an honor system. I am only credited for my time in the event you rate with 3-5 stars at the top. I do hope that I have earned a 5 star rating from you this today. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

There's no relay that would mane the fan stop working?
Make
When I get the fan, how do I access it? I see it behind the vents but don't see screws in the back freezer wall to remove.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

No there isnt a relay that would cause it. The control board tells the fans to run. Since everything else is running it tells me that its not the control board just the fan which leaves the motor. Now in order to access the fan you will need to make sure there are no screws holding the back wall into the freezer. If there is screws remove them. Then you will push up and out to get the back wall out. This requires emptying the freezer and making sure nothing is in the way of getting the wall out.

There are two round plugs on each top corner it looks like screw " covers" but I couldn't remove them.
On the inside
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

any more luck?

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

getting that panel out is the only way to be able to get access to the motor.

Still can't remove back wall of freezer to get to fan
Got it off. The fan runs intermittent as lights flash on settings bar
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

what setting bar are you referring to? On the front of the unit?

I hear the compressor kick on and the setting light bar stops flashing once I unplug the fan. I plug it in and the setting bar flashes and compressor goes off. Then fan turns when setting bar lights flash
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

now what about the compressor is it still running hot?

No, I didn't let it run long enough.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

so if the fan is running and the compressor is running and its still not cooling all that leaves is that you have a leak in your compressor and its needed fixed and charged. A tech would have to come out to do this and I will be honest it can be pretty expensive.

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 6 months ago

I wanted to check in with you to see if you were needing anything further?

travis webb
travis webb
travis webb