Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag Stainless Steel Refrigerator that I bought

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Stainless Steel Refrigerator that I bought in 2010. We've had about 3-4 instances where the ice won't stop dispensing, and in the past I take the ice bucket out.....make sure it's not stopped up in any way....remove all ice....put it back, and all is good. Today it kept dispensing ice, and even when I emptied all the ice out, the motor keeps running. I don't know how to stop the motor from running and I don't want it to burn out.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model #MSD2576VEM00 Bought in September of 2010
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just please tell me how to stop the motor from running.....to eliminate the chance of ruining the appliance?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

If you open the door, does the auger motor stop turning? Or will it keep turning even with the door open?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it stops turning. I can see a little metal thing turning when I remove the ice bucket. Right now, it just stopped making the moaning sound. But it comes and goes
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I meant to say that if I depress the button on the door at the top (as if I were closing the door), that metal thing starts turning
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still here?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

OK so you either have a stuck relay on your main control board, or the switch inside your dispenser has failed and is stuck closed. You'll need to unplug the pad you push your glass against and if that stops the auger from turning, replace the pad. Otherwise replace the main relay control board on the back of your refrigerator. Below is a link to both parts and a video that shows you how to access the pad to unplug it.

CLICK HERE for pad

CLICK HERE for control board

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't possibly do this myself.....can you just tell me how to stop the augur from running? And tell me if it's going to ruin the fridge if it keeps running? The only answers you gave me were links to purchase replacement parts and how to replace it myself. I'm a 70 year old woman. I need advice from an expert.....not a how to lesson in repairing an icemaker.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

So at this point the only thing that might stop the motor from running is if you lock out the control panel. Press and hold the control lock button on your dispenser. If your pad is the issue, that will stop the motor until you can replace the pad. If it doesn't stop the motor, you have a stuck relay on the control board and that is not something you can stop. you can only stop it by opening the door or unplugging the refrigerator if the board is bad.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I talk to you in person, are you just going to try to teach me how to do it.....because I can't do that. I just need someone to help me get through the next day or so until I can get a person out here to fix it. And someone MUST have run into this problem before....I can't be the only one. Surely you don't tell people to just turn off their refrigerator until they can get a repair person out to help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately you or I can't control how your appliance fails. Neither of us can control the options available. I'm not sure you read my last response but those are the only options for the time being. Here is my response again.

QUOTE:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I probably need to find a repairman pretty quickly (on a weekend, no less) because I have 15 people here, using the refrigerator, and I can't let all their food spoil. I did try the lock thing before I asked for your help....I researched it as best I could online for any troubleshooting. But no one can help me out. Sorry Maytag doesn't have a fix for this.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry as well, I wish there was an easy fix, but not every failure has an easy fix. This is definitely not a common problem these refrigerators get, but yes you will want to get a servicer out there ASAP if the control lock doesn't stop the motor from running.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just tried to google a Maytag repairman "in my area" (a ranch), got a number, and they asked for the zip code. When I put it in, they said, "Sorry, we don't have any service in your area. Goodbye!" So there ya go!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

ick. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm really not sure who services in your area. I personally am a tech out of Denver Colorado.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Best option so far is someone out of Austin Texas (57 miles away).....on Friday the 11th. I'm at a loss as to what to do. But I'll just keep trying to find someone.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Alright, I'm sorry about the circumstances but I wish you only the best.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?