Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a new GE Washer with a locking lid. My load became

Customer Question

I have a new GE Washer with a locking lid. My load became very unbalanced and was moving around the laundry room and I was not able to unlock the lid to shift the load. I had to shut the cycle down and then restart the whole wash. How can I unlock the lid to shift the load? Thanks
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I just purchased the washer new from Lowe's two weeks ago. The owners manual says GTW 485, 460, 330, 220 and HTW 240. I will need to go look at the machine to clarify.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: NO
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

You will have to let it complete a cycle or unplug the unit for a full minute and plug it back in. If the unit has pumped out the water the lid should unlock. If not set it to a SPIN ONLY cycle and once the water is pumped all out if you cancel it the lid should unlock. If there is water in it still the lid will not open.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.