Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a water softener. Something is wrong, I shower and

Customer Question

I have a water softener. Something is wrong, I shower and the water feel sticky, my hair have a sticky residue.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: About a month.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It doesn't seem like the salt level drop.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

The water is hard the softener is not regenerating, this could be from a few things:

Fix 1. Clean the brine (salt) tank:
Make sure the salt hasn't formed a hard dome or crust inside the brine tank. The salt dome can result from adding too much salt or adding it too frequently. It will look as if you have salt even though there's a big air pocket underneath. Break up the salt with a broomstick, then dispose of it. Remove any sediment with a shop vacuum. Use soap and water to thoroughly clean the tank (and the brine well inside the tank if you have one) and rinse it.

Fix 2. Clean an iron-fouled resin bed:
If your water contains iron, it will eventually “foul” the resin bed that removes the hard water particles and replaces them with sodium. To refresh the bed, run Iron-Out through the system. Follow the directions for the amount to add to the brine tank, then run your softener through a manual regeneration to purge the wastewater. To do this, remove the cover from the control valve and find the regeneration knob. Use a flat-blade screwdriver to depress the knob and turn it counterclockwise to “Service.”

Fix 3. Clean the resin tank injector:
The injector sometimes gets plugged with sediment caused by dirty salt. To clean it, first engage the softener's bypass valve to shut off the water. Next, relieve the water pressure by running the softener through a manual regeneration. Finally, remove the caps on both sides of the softener head. Thoroughly clean the injector (right side of the head) and the injector screen (left side).

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.