Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our G E dishwasher has a grinding sound coming from inside…

Customer Question
Our G E dishwasher...

Our G E dishwasher has a grinding sound coming from inside bottom of dishwasher. A few weeks ago I removed the triangle shaped screen and other attachments and found a piece of broken glass which I removed. I wonder if there are more smaller pieces that escaped through small holes underneath screen assembly? Please let me know how I can fix this

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?

Hold on for a quick minute while I go get info

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe - it will depend on your guidance I do not have manual and there is virtualy nothing written on DW itself other than GE

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is 4 years old, it is installed under the counter and it has a black band across top of door with white GE letters to left and the controls over on the right have blue lights that shine

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/3/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

open the dishwasher door the model /serial tag should be on the tank face frame.

ok stand by please

no problem!

model number is *****
G E
did u receive?

could the number actually be GDWF160V00SS?

no it is a 4 not a 1
i gave u correct number BUT i was not sure if the zeros were "O's"

Ge is not showing any GDWF460 models only GDWF160 models.

not sure what to do - the number is *****

is this a photo of your model ?

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/GDWF160V00SS/0432/0130000.html?searchType=modelSearch&q=GDWF460V00SS&searchTerm=GDWF460V00SS

i could email u a photo

sure just use the attachment icon to send me a photo.

And I have tried Ge and three other parts dealers and when I put in the number of GDWF46OVOOSS they transfer it to the number of GDWF160V00S

So lets see if you may have some debris on the tag where the 1 look like a 4

stand by for photo

Ok!

Ok I see why the U.S GE data base does not show it as a good model number your unit was manufactured in China not the U.S.

I will opt out in hopes some one else can better assist you .

i just noticed that u asked me if that link was a photo of my DW and no it is not. do u want a photo of front of my DW?
ok if u opt out does that mean i get my money back?
oh never mind it looks like another tech is coming on line - ok
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 11 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Did you still need help?

Yes since you are in Canada the lookups are slightly different. Open the door and in the back bottom do you see a grate with 2 screws holding it down, go to this link part #4

CLICK HERE

i still need help
i will look for grate that u describe

Let me know if you find it or take a pic of the inside bottom of your unit so I can see.

listen, the link shows a different grate than mine but - i still have a grate so, what were u going to say next? [please re read my first submission up above where i mention that i took out a screen assembly and removed a piece of glass - this is the same thing as your grate - please advisde as to what to do beyond the grate?
i think some smaller pieces of glass might [might] have found their way into the smaller holes in bottom of grate where my fingers cant reach into
ok i will take photo of inside of DW and take a separate photo of area that sits under the screen assembly [u refer to it as a grate]

Does it grind only when washing or just pumping out?

im not sure - it grinds when the motor is running and humming
are the photos helpful?
r u still there

Yes I am still here, I had stepped away if it is grinding then can you take the bottom kick panel off and check for any leaking by the motor? I think you may have a leak on the seal and the front bearing on the motor is bad.

ok i just removed the bottom panel, looked inside with a flashlight and there are no leaks, and everything appears to be intact.
what about possibility that small pieces of broken glass might be grinding around near some kind of moving gear?
i mentioned at very first note above that all this started around the time i took a quater size piece of glass out of a little drum in the centre of that bottom screen assembly --- i wonder if some smaller pieces escaped into the holes below screen assembly and got into a place they should not be

Yes you could have some pieces of glass in the pump by the impeller can you remove the pump and check that?

where's the pump? where's the impeller?

On the bottom by the motor, you need to remove the pump off the sump housing and check the impeller on that motor. You should pull the unit out of the cabinet to do this.

ok - over my head - i will call service people to come over and fix it. thanks and goodnight.

No problem!

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.