Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a 2 year-old Kitchenaid dual fuel range. I'd like to…

Customer Question
I have a 2...

I have a 2 year-old Kitchenaid dual fuel range. I'd like to be able to light the burners in a power outage. How can I do that? Must the safety solenoid be disabled?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2 years old, can't locate the model number... double electric ovens, 5 burner gas cooktop.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I live on an island, so that would be easier

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/3/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

No help... there's only one dual fuel and it's 2 years old, sufficient info for an snswer

I see the your have no idea as to how any manufactures information is looked up on the manufactures sire.

ALL information is looked up via the model number.

If you can not provide that I can not assist you!!

Hope you have a good day!

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?

After much hunting around I found: Model #KFDD500ESS00, serial # D51814402. I unfortunately expect that your answer will be that it's a safety solenoid that can't be disconnected or routed around which of course makes the unit useless in a power outage, one of the primary reasons I got a range with a gas cooktop. I guess the good news is that in an outage I'll starve instead of blowing myself up. Thanks Kitchenaid for protecting me from myself!!

Thank you!
Give me a minute or two to pull up information on this model

Yes you are correct the way this unit is designed if you were to loose electricity the gas cook top burners will not work.

Due to the electrically held open cook top gas valve assembly.

And it is just not Kitchen-aid other manufactures have this safety also .

But I do agree with you in renders the oven useless during an electrical failure.

Now I would not say it could not be done away with .but it will take some mechanical skills to bypass the valve !

Master Tech
Master Tech