Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a maytag 5000 series front loader. it is giving me a

Customer Question

I have a maytag 5000 series front loader. it is giving me a f21 code. what does this mean?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 7-9 yrs old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it is something easy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: what does that code mean
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

The F21 code means the unit has an issue with the pump and is not pumping out correctly. Check the filter on the pump and the drain hose for any blockages. If all is clear and the pump is running then replace the pump.

CLICK HERE VIDEO

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

F21 means that your washer is not draining. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch. If you find nothing and the drain hose is clear, replace your drain pump.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Also if you have the model number I can get you a diagram as well to help

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will have to get that
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Attached is a diagram for your washer and screw 35 has a red arrow I drew to show you what screws to remove so you can access the pump below the tub.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?