Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Service Technician at Ralph's Joy of Living
99018442

Can you give me a rough estimate on the total cost to

Customer Question

Can you give me a rough estimate on the total cost to replace an evaporator coil in an Amana refrigerator/freezer. It is a 1999 side by side model. I would like to know the approximate labor cost for this area (93063) as well as the approximate cost of the part. Also how many hours are usually required for this job? Thank you
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: SXD23VW ... Amana , 1999
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I'm aware of
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Nolan Rettig replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thanks for your help
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there?

It looks like the evaporator is about $250 for the evaporator and probably around $30 for the filter drier which is required to be changed whenever the sealed system is opened. The labor for this sort of job is a little more difficult to calculate as it depends on the rates in your area but as far as time frame generally anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on how big of a problem the current one that is in there looks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can I find out what the hourly rates are in this area?

Well you would have to call a local company in your area and ask what they would charge for that sealed system job.

In my opinion though, the money you would spend to repair a refrigerator that is almost 18 years old would be better spent put towards a new one. Generally when things get to the point of sealed system problems at that age is when they will start to be more of an issue. How did you figure out the evaporator was bad?