Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The ice maker on my Samsung refrigerator freezes up; it is…

Customer Question
The ice maker on my...
The ice maker on my Samsung refrigerator freezes up; it is about 2.5 years old Model # RF28HFEDTSR/AA I am looking for a way to prevent this from continuing to happen.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/3/2017
Appliance Technician: canuck the pro, Handyman replied 9 months ago
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Do you mean that frost is building on the icemaker? Is there frost on the walls of the freezer?

Not frost on the icemaker and know frost on the walls of the freezer. When I remove the ice tray/bucket there is ice built up in the components. I can try to get a pic

Has the door ever been accidentally left open for the freezer?

No
This has been an ongoing issues about every two weeks out stops manning ice and we have to go in and thaw it out

Will you look in the fridge compartment and remove the bottom drawer? There is a condensate drain there. Is there debris stopping the condensate from draining there? Is there water in the bottom of the fridge?

Just to make sure I understand do youy mean the wide open cool select pantry drawer?
I pulled the pantry drawer out but do not see a drain and there is no water in the bottom of the fridge. If it helps our freezer is on bottom.

I see. I was mistaken on what model it was. Do you still have the manual? If so, will you look in the manual to see where the condensate drain is on that model? I am pretty sure it is in the bottom of the freezer.

It sounds like a very familiar issue but I am not as familiar with the bottom freezer models. The condensation drain gets blocked with debris and that causes the issue you described in other models. I will opt out to allow another expert to respond who is more familiar.

Thank you
John, Home Appliance Technician