Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

MY MAYTAG FRENCH DOOR IS BUILDING UP ICE IN THE FREEZER

Customer Question
MY MAYTAG FRENCH DOOR...

MY MAYTAG FRENCH DOOR IS BUILDING UP ICE IN THE FREEZER PART

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

MODEL MF2558VEM4 MAYBE 6 YRS OLD

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

WE WILL TRY IF POSSIBLE

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

FRIGDE DOOR FEELS VERY WARM ON THE RIM

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Where exactly in the freezer are you seeing the ice build up?

in the back panel
i said the frost is building up on the back panel

OK perfect. So let's start by explaining the possibilities for your symptoms. This means that you have a defrost problem. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. That will get the unit to work again, but the problem will come back unless you fix the defrost issue. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own. If both parts have continuity, your display control board at the top of your refrigerator actually controls the defrost cycle so the display board would need to be replaced.

To remove the back panel itself, just remove all the screws going into the back panel to start. There is a plastic vent directly in the middle toward the top of the back panel that you must unclip. There are 3 hidden clips you must pry on with a flat head screwdriver to release this vent panel and below is a picture where I drew an arrow to all the clip locations you need to pry on.

To the right of this vent is a little oval plastic cover which houses a temperature sensor. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the slit on the front of the cover and pry in the hole to release this cover and get the sensor out of the way. Now you can pull the back panel off.

thank you. i think ill call a repairman.

Understandable and not a problem, but I'm very sorry about the bad news.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?