Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

What dies orange light next to temperture control mean the…

Customer Question
What dies orange light...

What dies orange light next to temperture control mean the oven is just smoking when l turn on

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Its a everdure from bunnings 12 months old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If we can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It has side door but when you turn on this light comes on and then smoke just pours out of oven you carnt use

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Elliott Oxton, Handyman replied 11 months ago
Elliott Oxton
Elliott Oxton, Handyman

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have worked in appliance maintenance for over 15 years. I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

The orange light next to the temperature control turns on when the oven is heating up. When it reaches the set temperature on the controller it will then turn off.

It sounds like your oven is an electric oven. There are two main reasons why your oven may be pouring out with smoke:

1. Grease/fat/other food items have got onto the electrical element. The element is what heats up the oven and become's very hot. If anything is directly on this element then it will burn instantly causing smoke to come out. Giving the oven a good clean will help with this issue. If the smoke smells like burning food then this is probably your issue. You may get the smoke for a little while but after a minute or two it should stop. If it doesn't or it smells like burning plastic then it maybe the next point.

2. Electrical fault with the heater element. If there is a problem with the electrical element, or one of the cables inside the oven has broken, this will cause smoke to occur. If left it will eventually break the fuse breaker or cause other damage. If the smoke smells like plastic then this is most likely to be your issue. It maybe best to have an electrical engineer come and repair this for you if this is the case. If you would like further help with this this though let me know. I will be happy to expand on this.

I hope this helps you to start to identify the issue you have. Let me know what you find and then we can discuss how you want to proceed with this.

I have opened an option for you to rate my response to you. This will compensate me for the time I spend and help me to improve my answers and support for you. When you have a moment please could you rate me.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Warm regards
Elliott