Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a noisy fan in my GE Monogram fridge, 2004 let me…

Customer Question
Hello - I...

Hello - I have a noisy fan in my GE Monogram fridge

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2004 let me check

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Hopefully It's a 48" side by side I don't see the model number

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
8/1/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ZISS480DMSSI think... Built in Side x Side fridge with dispenser. GE Monogram 48"

ok which fan is it that is noisy?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a large fan above the unit to the right.

Ok so that is the Condenser fan .

Does it sound as if the fan blades are hitting on something ?

Ar is it a bearing squeal noise?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think it is hitting anything. Doesn't strike me as bearing squeal, but it has been loud the last few days. I have only owned this house for two months, so don't have a lot of history. Could it just need cleaning or something?

Ok so if you open the condenser section up top let`s look at the fan area and see if it needs cleaned .

Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I make sure it stops running?

turn the main switch off or turn the circuit breaker to the refrigerator off!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right - of course. The location of a switch is not obvious to me. Do you know where it is? And what do you think I should do with the fan - vacuum it or something?

you can vacuum the fan and blade.

And can you check the units model number once again I find nothing on the number you have given of ZISS480DMSS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm going off an old receipt. Do you know where they hide the model numbers on these things?

open the fresh food section it should be on the interior wall near the top.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not seeing it, but I found a tech note in the top section where the mechanicals are. ZIS480D.I hate these built in fridges!

ok That helps !

that model does not have a main power switch up top ,so your best bet is to just turn the refrigerator circuit breaker off

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK - do you think the fan/motor just needs to be replaced at this point?

That is not a questions that I can answer since I`n not there to hear it .

If you think it is just a fan going bad .I can give you a link to the part if you would like.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK - I'll give cleaning a whirl first and see what happens. I may not be able to get back to you for a bit. I'm presuming that's OK.

Yes !

Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning - OK, I cut the power and took a look. Doesn't look overly dirty in there. I bet it's a bearing going bad. I did take a recording, but it doesn't look like audio files can be uploaded here. Seems like if you heard it, you could likely diagnose. Can I send to your email? Let's presume that it is the bearing - looks a little hairy to replace as it is tucked in the back. Not sure I would want to tackle that. Do you guys have a network of repair people? Going through GE is beyond painful (even considering their cost). Let me know.

if you down load the recording to say YouTube then send me the link I can then go to the link and listen to it.

And not Just Answer is Computer experts only they have no office or in home service company.

I do not even work in a Just Answer office .

I`m a remote expert in even a different state then the Just Answer office in Cali.

I work from my own business , normally from a terminal in the shop and assist Just Answer customers while working on in shop appliances

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D42984_08955077_643419
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you get the file?

Sorry I was off line for several hours Yesterday, with Dr. appointments .

Yes I got the file ,and it does sound as if the fan bearings are going ,/rumbling.

I recommend to replace the condenser fan .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Condenser-Fan-Motor/WR60X10209/1195784?rcaid=1000070

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. So - do you think it is user friendly to replace? I'm reasonable mechanical - but.... Also - that link you sent me is the model I need for my fridge? Says it's 12V (vs. 120V), is that correct as well? Please confirm. Thanks.

the part is for your model number.

And yes the fan motor runs off 12 volts D/C not 120 VAC

The motor can be replaced with just basic hand tools. and if your mechanical inclined then you can replace the motor with no issues.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I just ordered - will receive on Saturday. If I have more questions, I can ask you right?

Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me .

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
bad news. After trying to get at the condenser fan motor - I had to give up. There must be a trick to pulling out the assembly. I searched You Tube - which helped me, but it clearly was for a different version of Monogram. So... I have had to put a service call into GE. I'm fairly mechanical, but this one felt like I was going to cause more damage getting into this area.