Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Cabrio washer only has sensing light on, will not lock lid…

Customer Question
Cabrio washer only has...

Cabrio washer only has sensing light on, will not lock lid and has humming sound

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

WTW5550xW3 3.5 years, I've done the tests manual and auto, the lid lock works in test modes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Did not drain during test

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/1/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So first, just leave the washer plugged in for 30 minutes and let the humming noise continue. If it ends after 15-30 minutes, then it means your washer just went into flood mode because it took longer than 6 minutes to fill up with water in the last cycle. If the humming doesn't start, you have a different problem.

I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing or possibly your drain pump being clogged up. Both the drain pump and the actuator motor are located below the tub and if you're wondering, the actuator is the part that switches the shifter next to the motor. You'll want to first check the drain pump first which is below the tub. Just remove it and if you find nothing inside, re-install and move onto the actuator. If you find debris inside the pump, remove it and try the washer again.

To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one full rotation and the control panel should beep.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

Also, below is a video that might help you pull up the error code.

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc