Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool dryer that does not heat and displays the…

Customer Question
I have a Whirlpool...

I have a Whirlpool dryer that does not heat and displays the F01. I have replaced the control board and that does not appear to have addressed the problem (either the heating issue or the F01). How do I figure out and fix the real problem?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

8 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes still figuring out exact model but did look it up to get replacement part #.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Control module is W10182365

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
Dryer is WGD9500TW2
8/1/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

What is the part number of the control board that you replaced?

I ask because this unit has three electronic control boards on it!

W10182365 ordered from PartSimple.

I noticed your request for a phone call. Unfortunately, Just Answer has stated that your request has failed due Credit card issues.
BUT I'm happy to continue corresponding with you here on our CHAT as we are now to assist you on your question.

This is normally an issue with your credit card company seeing to charges right after another and they block the second charge.

That is the correct electronic control board.

Have you tested the outlet that this gas dryer is plugged into to verify that the outlet is properly polarized and grounded?

payment issue is due to a fraud alert having been placed on my account due to the two quick charges ($5 & $28?).on hold with the credit card company to authorize the payments
I have not tested the outlet but that seems like a stretch to me.
still on hold with credit card company
House was recently built and all wiring was done by a licensed electrician.

If an outlet is not properly polarized and grounded it is not an issue of will it take out an electronic control board but when will it take out the control board

All if takes for an outlet to not be polarized or grounded properly is some thing as simple as a loose connection

dryer is plugged into same outlet as washer so still seems unlikely but I can check that
I am told that I will be able to reauthorize payment in 2 min (10:44)

ok and I would also return the electronic control board and replace the new one with a second control board.

Because the F01 is an error with in the main control board ,nothing else will cause that code.

PartSimple assures me that all of their reconditioned units are 100% functionally. But I will fight with them to get a new part and give that a try next. Earlier in my chat with JustAnswer someone said that there were three control modules for this dryer. Is that true? And if so then how do I examine and/or replace the other two? Can the F01 error be due to anything other than a
bad W10182365?

That was me that said this unit has a total of three control boards .

You have the main control on the left side and two user interface control board on the rear of the console the center interface and the right interface.

and the main control board is the only one that will give the F01 error code.

If one of the other controls had issue they have there own error codes.

OK, then for now I am very satisfied with your service. I will deal with PartSimple to get them to ship me another unit,
hopefully quickly, and at their expense. Is my experience unusual? I went online to research this and there appears
to be a common problem with the F01 due to overheating on the board resulting in the need to resolder a connection.
That does not appear to be an issue with my unit as their is no evidence of overheating as was seen in the videos.
So how likely is is that the part failed and the replacement part is bad? I can pay more for a "new" unit from someone
else but would prefer not to have the expense unless completely necessary.

ok so it sounds as if the new to you part was not a new part just a rebuilt part.

If that is the case. I would recommend replacing the part with a new part.

And it is not an unheard of issue with electronic controlled appliances. for the controls to fail .

My company probably replaces at least 5-6 electronic control boards across all manufactures appliances a day.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

My problem remains unresolved. When my problem has been resolved then I will be happy to rate you.Quick summary...1. Dryer stopped working (intermittent heating and diagnostic F01).
2. Online investigation suggests that the problem is the control board.
3. Replacement control board ordered 7/26 from PartSimple (W10182365 $80 note:remanufactured but "100% tested" and
6mo warranty)
4. Replacement control board received 7/31 - installed but issue remains unresolved
5. JustAnswer contacted and recommendation is to purchase a new control board rather than remanufactured
6. I am not yet willing so spend $200+ on new board so I contact PartSimple and they offer to send me a replacement
remanufactured unit at no additional cost.
7. Replacement control board received 8/3 - installed but issue remains unresolved
8. New control module ordered 8/3 from AppliancePartsPro for $236
9. New control module received 8/4. Note that this item appears to be slightly different in that two of the connectors
have been moved from the edge of the board to the top. These connectors appear to be low-voltage signal wires
rather than all of the others which appear to be normal (20g?) wires.
10. Unit installed and dryer still heats intermittently. F01 appears to have been replaced by F70.Suggestions?

Ok As you see after replacing the control board with a new control the F01 error code did go away so the rebuilt control boards were faulty.

The F:70 / F:71 flashes when there is no communication between the machine control and the console electronics. Check console electronics harness connections to the machine control. So check the connections from the front user interface with this new control board.

I am not yet convinced that both of the remanufactured control boards were bad. What I do know is that
the new board results in an F70. Does that mean that the diagnostics got past the check that produced the F01?
I can disconnect and reconnect the plugs but until I get the dryer to dry the problem remains unresolved.
It seems to me that the new board is incompatible with the old machine. Hence the F70. My original board
and the two remanufactured boards are probably fine and the problem is likely to be elsewhere. How do I
find and fix the real problem?

All I can tell you is what the F01 error code was for .

((F:01 flashes when there is a primary control failure. Replace the machine control electronics)0

That was copied and pasted right off the models technical data sheet) I did not make it up it is word for word right from Whirlpool .

and if this new control had seen any other codes when you had run a diagnostic it would have brought them up .

As for the F70 error code if you get just a speck of dust on the flat ribbon it will make it show no communication .

I clean the ribbon connector every time I install a new console or a new control board.

I clean the flat ribbon connector with a pencil eraser .

I get that this is a difficult problem to diagnose remotely. I also get that the Whirlpool guide says that when
you see an F01, you replace the control module. I am a software engineer by trade (and education). I find
and fix complicated problems. It is what I do for a living. I will try and work with you to figure out what is
wrong with my dryer so that I can get it fixed and you can get paid. My next step is to put the original module
back in and see if I get F01 or F70. If I get F70 then I can focus on the "ribbon" cable. If I get F01 then I will
be convinced that the new board will not solve the issue. As for the "ribbon" cable, there is no ribbon cable,
at least not as I know them. There are two "data" connectors. One is a fat plug (2x10?) that has two individual
grey wires. The other is a narrow plug (1x4) that has four individual grey wires. On the 3 old boards these
plugs connected directly to the edge of the board. There were exposed traces that the plugs slid over and
on those I could clean the traces with an eraser. The new board has been redesigned to plug the connectors
into sockets mounted on the board (plug in from the top). Not sure how I might clean them with an eraser.
If I get the F70 with the old boards then I will suspect that the data cables somehow pulled loose on the
other side (or that the wires came loose in the plugs due to the repeated usage). How I will diagnose and
repair that will be a challenge and I might instead throw in the towel and either get a repair man to come out
or just replace the dryer. Your thoughts or suggestions?

There are times that when you replace a main control board that it will not read the old user interface and you have to replace both .

If the new control board were reconfigured that could be the case.because a different manufacture could have made this new control board .

What exactly is the "user interface" and how do I replace it? Are you saying that I need to replace the "data cables"?
I don't know what part they are (assuming that there is a part number and that I can order and replace them). Then
I need to figure out how to open up the machine enough to get at the other boards and the other ends of those cables.The new control board is labeled as a Whirlpool part. If it was not manufactured by them directly then it was certainly
made to their specifications. I would assume that Whirlpool redesigned the board because there were issues with the
edge connectors so they upgraded the design to use sockets (at the cost of an additional $0.10 per unit).
I put the original board back into the machine and I am back to the F01. Help me understand a failure scenario
that explains what I am seeing. Note that the dryer starts up just fine. The flame comes on and hot air comes
out of the exhaust. Then after something heats up to a certain level the flame goes off. I am guessing that
this is still OK. The issue (I am guessing) is that after a short period of time the flame should come back on
again. But it doesn't, presumably because some sensor is reporting incorrectly. Thoughts or suggestions?
As of now I need to send two (and possibly three) boards back. And I am no closer to having a working dryer
than when I started.

The user interface is the controls that you turn or push or turn to select cycles and options .

This model has two of them a center and a right interface.

To change them you will remove the washer top just like you did for the main control board, then you have to remove the console to gain access to the rear of the console /control panel.

Your getting the F01 error code because electronic control board is constantly running self test on itself and other components . and once it runs across the faulty it throws up the code.

I have and YOU have already proven that the error code was in the old control board and not the new one.

THE OLD CONTROL BOARD IS BAD, the new control does not give you the F01 error so it IS NOT a component with in the unit.

If you had an other component issue you would be seeing a different error code.

Put the new control back in and move on,,, and deal with the F70 .

I do not mean to sound mean but your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

These machines are very smart and I`m not an electrical engineer to step you thru the software process.

I`m just an old appliance repair man, that once you replace a control you just throw it away and move on!!

Im going to opt out because this is going no where .

EVEN thou your original issue has been taken care of you still will not rate me .

I`m not in front of the unit , and your not satisfied with my work assisting you ,so good luck!