Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Re Whirlpool model GS5SHAXNQOO About a month ago, we used…

Customer Question
Re Whirlpool model GS5SHAXNQOO...

Re Whirlpool model GS5SHAXNQOO About a month ago, we used your advice to fix the defrost cycle and get the refrigerator side cooling again. That was a defective thermostat, so this time I was hoping it was the heater. Nope, must be the ADC, so I tried your Off for 15 seconds, On for 5 trick, except that it wouldn't come right back on for several minutes. Then tried your Pull the plug for 30 seconds, while turning it Off, and then replugging it. After 8 seconds, indeed after 15 minutes, No Defrosting. Since defrosting seems to be the key to cooling the frige side, I used a hairdryer to defrost the freezer coils, put the back panel back in, and left it running all night. This morning: 67 Degrees, in spite of -30 in the freezer, and in spite of having the inlet window and the Veggie/Meat return vent both all the way open. We bought it used for $75 but a new ADC would be more wasted $, or do you have another solution???

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

9 years and GS5SHAXNQOO is the Model # Serial # = SS3242265

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Have been through out, Thanks to your instructions!

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We both live on Social Security, so fixing things is a financial necessity, beside the satisfaction it brings. My wife does the research, I do the work.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
8/1/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So the fact that the freezer is -30 degrees, you didn't thaw out all the frost build up somewhere. You'll need to thaw the vent to the right of the silver evaporator coils between the refrigerator and freezer as well as the entire silver coils. Also there is a damper vent in the upper back left corner of the refrigerator section and that is where the air from the freezer comes into the refrigerator so take the damper off and if it's packed with frost or ice, thaw it out as well. Once it's all thawed, the unit will work again, but so the frost doesn't come back you'll need to replace the ADC.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

The freezer was at -30 because in all the off/on attempts to get the defrost process kickstarted, I neglected to turn that back to 1. (It's always run in the -10 range, as it now is.) As for the damper vent, I can see thru to the freezer with an inspection mirror, and it is wide open. What's strange is that I can feel cold air (42) coming thru that vent now - but only with the freezer door ajar. As soon as it's closed tight, the noticeable air flow stops. And I doubt that it resumes when I close the refrigerator door, because of the all night test. So is the "vent to the right of the evaporator coils" the outlet of the return from the veggie/meat vent? I also blew the hairdryer thru that and could hear flow on the freezer side. Besides, the heater wire is only a loop around the freezer coils, not near either vent. I'm still not "sold" on a new ADC!

I'm not here to sell you on anything. You can't test the ADC. You can only test the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If both parts have continuity---then your ADC is the only thing left and must be replaced. It's that straight forward and that simple.

You blew off my indirect way of testing the untestable ADC by assuming the vents were frosted over. Please cancel my subscription.

No one was assuming your vents were frosted. Have a nice day.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc