Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Janome Memory Craft 9000 machine, I get an error…

Customer Question
I have a Janome...

I have a Janome Memory Craft 9000 machine, I get an error message about something, being stuck, or a bent needle. The hand wheel is quite hard to turn. Can you help, I can't afford to take it to a machine shop. Thanks Michelle

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

At least 15 years,maybe longer. I have had the message the last couple of times I used it, but then it worked.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'd like to try if I can, I can't take it to a shop.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No that seems to be the only problem I think.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2017
Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

My name is ***** ***** I am a Janome Tech in Australia
Can you please tell me what the error message actually says... generally something like "E2" or similar.
These indicate that a motor is beginning to feel extra strain and is a safety cutout asking you to look for something creating too much "drag" on the smooth system

Often it is likely to just be some trapped thread in the bobbin/hook area, or at the Take up lever crank where the small arm that draws thread attaches to the upper shaft... DO NOT CUT... it will almost certainly leave some behind that you will never get out, it needs very careful unwinding... tweezers can help

Do you really have a bent needle ?
Change for a new one regardless, just in case

Is the Handwheel stiff only recently, or ongoing

The more detail you can provide, the quicker we can get to ID the trouble...

Please see attached a comprehensive Diagnostic Chart to see if you can isolate the troubles if the above was not enough

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Martyn,
It says
Is something stuck in the machine
Is the cloth too thick
Is the needle bentThere is nothing stuck in the machine, and the cloth isn't thick, I did change the needle before I contacted you.
I pulled the bobbin out and the thing the bobbin sits it and cleaned it all, I did get a bit of fluff out but not much, because I do clean it fairly often.
The hand wheel has been stiff for about the last 6 times I used it at the start, then the machine went well.
I will go through this sheet you sent and get back to you tomorrow if that is ok.Cheers
Michelle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Martyn,
The problem is Needle UP/DOWN key.
When I push that key the needle moves down but there is a grating noise then it stops and the error comes up
SAFETY WARNING
Is something stuck in the machine
Is the cloth too thick
Is the needle bent
Also last night when I was looking at it I pressed the up/down needle and the button stuck and there was a whirring sound
it would only stop if I turned the machine off.
Does this help, Everything else seems ok.
Thanks
Michelle

Hi Michelle

I am on and off here as a part time assistant, we have our own shop as well

The motor that drives the Up/Down may be this issue from what you say, however I still think there may be trapped thread around the Takeup Crank causing the stiff handwheel and adding strain generally... this will give a false reading for the Needlebar and the grating noise from overworking the motor gears

See attached for a view of the removed Crank Mechanism so you can recognise it...

Try a simple sew test and manually wind handwheel if directed... will it stitch anything, or is it trying briefly and stopping ?

Takeup Crank is on the Top shaft... if you open the L door (aka Face Plate) to see the needle arm, it is behind that, the offset arrangement of armatures that move the small arm up and down to draw thread for each stitch

Access from above is quite easy too... see attached

I need hardly say ALWAYS unplug first !?!?

Just wonder if you are able to attach images on your side... we can, but not sure if you can ?? Not that I need one, just interested for the future as I have only recently started this at JA again after a 5 year break

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Martyn
I have already taken of the top cover unit it is all clean in there, I have been trying to watch the movement of the parts in there when I turn the hand wheel, I can't see anything that's grabbing.
I will go and do the Take up crank and then put it back together and try to sew.
What time do you finish work today.
Thanks
Michelle

If there is thread in the crank, it may only be a small tail visible

Have a good torch or lamp to check... move the handwheel slowly and look very carefully for any hint of shredded thread...

I am in and out all day between office, shop and workshop

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I'll see if I can see any, catch you later
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Martyn
I can't get it to work, obviously there is something stuck, but I can't find it
I know where the take up lever is and I think I can see the take up crank that you sent me the picture of but it's pretty impossible to see if there is anything in there unless I take more of the machine apart. Do you reckon I should just forget it, I'm not sure what to do now.

It may be a simple need for lubrication..

I use Inox Spray, as it is lanoline based and seems to be better in our coastal environment

Quality Sewing machine oils is OK too

Tiny drop on all moving parts and the points where the shaft and body meet... then hit the pedal and run it for 10 sec and feel the handwheel to see if that has improved

same philosophy for lower shaft, although access is more awkward with the Emb Bed... a drop on the centre wick under the bobbin case is the quick answer before we go tearing the bottom off...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks
I'll have to get some.
Don't suppose WD40 would be good for the machine.
I probably won't get back to you until next week.
Is that ok or do I have a time limit for a question.

No time limit, but they may send automated reminders

WD40 dries out and although great for penetrating, not a long term lubricant... it is great for marine engines, we use it at Marine Rescue (RVCP) for almost everything

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok ta, I'll try to get out in the morning and get some oil and get back to you tomorrow

OK, as and when... just be sparing in the application