Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Freezer ondutch door fridge freezes up.had tech come

Customer Question
freezer ondutch door fridge...

freezer ondutch door fridge freezes up.had tech come defrosted freezer and was ok for a while.in the last three weeks I have defrosted the frezzer three times

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Kitchenaid modelKFIS27CXMS5 ser # K21306202 probably three years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When the freezer freezes up leaks at both sides of the drawer

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
7/31/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So this isn't actually a defrost issue, this is a problem with the drain line backing up which is why water is leaking out both sides of the drawer. The drain line is backing up and forming a sheet of ice under the drawer. Eventually it's builds up too much water and starts leaking out the front of the drawer. Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc