Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have the same GE Monogram ZEM200SY and I need to replace

Customer Question

I have the same GE Monogram ZEM200SY and I need to replace the door Microwave Secondary Switch
WB24X829 - is there another way to access this switch without removing the entire outer shell???
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: ZEM200SY 001 - september 1997
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes - I am proficient in this kind of replacement, but GE does not have a service manual for this model, and any other service manual I can find for built in microwaves seem to have easy access to the control panel by 1 screw
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nope, just this - thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

The only way to access the door switches is to remove the outer wrapper /cabinet on the unit.

to access any component other then what is in the cooking cavity on this model the wrapper needs to be removed .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you find it is usually just the 1 door switch that fails, and if so what is the easiest way to test which one or do you just try each one at a time to see if that is the failed switch?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I meant to say "replace each one at a time"

no unusual for a door switch to fail.

and to test it that is very easy just test it for resistance with the switch plunger pushed in and at rest , one way you will have resistance the other you will not.

And out of the three door switches you will have one opposite of the other two .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a special screw driver (torx) required for the outer shell - last question - thanks

some models do have TORX tip heads and some have a Security bit that has a tab in the center so a regular TORX tip bit will not work.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks - I have all the information I need - have a good day

Always glad to assist you anytime.

please remember to rate me!