Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Maytag refrigerator model MTB1956DEA which leaked…

Customer Question
I have a Maytag...

I have a Maytag refrigerator model MTB1956DEA which leaked water on the floor at an apartment last week. It was during high humidity weather. Tenant raised both temp controls to #8. Inside temps - refrigerator 36 degrees f, freezer 10 degrees f. All the door seals seem okay. I could feel cold air near the top rear of the refeigerator compartment. Some refrigerators have a vinyl tube in the rear that can clog and keep condensation from going to a tray near the compressor. This refrig doesn't have one - at least that I can get to. What do you think is the problem? And thanks in advance for your help.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Age - close to 10 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Floor is slightly unlevel - slopes down toward front of refrig.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
7/31/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Open the freezer door and look on the freezer floor do you see any frost or ice on the freezer floor?

And to see the Freezer Evaporator Drain trough you would need to remove the interior rear wall panel in the freezer to see the drain line opening in the center of the drain trough.

Thanks for your response. This will be a "slow" conversation since the ref is in an apartment and I'll be going there later today. I don't recall seeing ice on the freezer floor and just spoke with the tenant who confirmed - no ice.
I found the trough. If I lay on the floor, will I see the drain line opening in the center of the drain trough? And if I do, how should I try and snake or clear it? I went there last Friday. Tenant had a towel on the floor across the front. It was damp. I removed it and felt around the bottom of the doors and all around the bottom front of refrig but couldn't detect any wetness.

to clear the drain trough to drain pan line I use a Turkey baster and Hot water.

Also check the drain pan under the unit ,to make sure it is not cracked and that it has not been moved so that the water from the drain line is not dripping in the drain pan .

If the customer has done any cleaning they could have moved the drain pan just enough that the dripping water is no hitting the drain pan.

I have to leave my home now and will be at the apt after lunch today. If your written responses can't help I would prefer to talk on the phone. I'll have to check back later w my laptop for your written response as I have a cel phone but it's not smart.

Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

I'm thinking the drain pan and trough are one and the same. The "pan" was dry. Where is the "trough" and how can I access it?

The Drain pan is under the unit where the Compressor and Condenser fan are located.

The drain trough is behind the rear interior freezer wall panel INSIDE the freezer.

To gain access to the drain trough you will need to remove everything out of the freezer section and remove the rear interior wall panel

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

This is NOT a free web site.

Master Tech
Master Tech