John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Our bottom freezer purchased in 2000 suddenly not cooling.

Customer Question

Our bottom freezer purchased in 2000 suddenly not cooling. Humming noise in freezer, temp in upper refrig close to 70, freezer about 32. Turned unit off, waited several minutes, restarted, no humming noise, can hear a fan running but no cooling.
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: Amana BX21VW Yes checked settings.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if I can.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Have had problems with ice maker but never with refrig before. Coil under refrig a little dirty but not badly clogged up with dirt.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

The first thing you'll want to do is pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel. Is the fan next to the big black round compressor running? And if you touch the compressor is it room temperature, warm, or blazing hot? And if you listen to the compressor do you hear it running constantly or does it click every couple of minutes?