Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Our bottom freezer purchased in 2000 suddenly not cooling.

Customer Question
Our bottom freezer purchased...

Our bottom freezer purchased in 2000 suddenly not cooling. Humming noise in freezer, temp in upper refrig close to 70, freezer about 32. Turned unit off, waited several minutes, restarted, no humming noise, can hear a fan running but no cooling.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

Amana BX21VW Yes checked settings.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Have had problems with ice maker but never with refrig before. Coil under refrig a little dirty but not badly clogged up with dirt.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
7/31/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll want to do is pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel. Is the fan next to the big black round compressor running? And if you touch the compressor is it room temperature, warm, or blazing hot? And if you listen to the compressor do you hear it running constantly or does it click every couple of minutes?

John, Home Appliance Technician