Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a whirlpool golf side by side refrigerator. Ice

Customer Question

We have a whirlpool golf side by side refrigerator. Ice bucket was frozen in place had to really wrench to get it out. After getting it out, thawed the ice built up in it but now the bucket will not re-sit back in the freezer. And there is a red light flashing next to switch for automatic ice maker.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Gd5dwlhaxvy06
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Prob 7-8 years old
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'd like to if it's relatively simple
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Is there frost or ice built up on the coupling that the ice bucket sits on in the door?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not as of now
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Does the bucket not lock down when set in place?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's not locking down or re-seating itself conpletely
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Does the coupling on both the bottom of the bucket and on the door appear to be intact? Can you post pictures?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Everything appears to be intact
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Is the end of the shaft on the ice bucket flush with the plastic surrounding it or does it extend below it? It is hard to tell from the picture.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's sitting flush
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Does it sit down fine but just not lock down? I suspect the mechanism in the bucket was broken when it was forced off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It does not sit down or lock in.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the inside of the freezer door where the bucket sits, I removed the coupling so we could at least let the ice maker, make ice and fill the bucket. But it never began making ice again and we noticed the red flashing light. So I put that coupling back on and still nothing.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The locking mechanism in the bucket is broken, the bucket will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive zero credit for my work. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!