Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Have a GE side by side. Was taking things out to clean

Customer Question
before initial use and it...
Have a GE side by side. Was taking things out to clean before initial use and it has a big bunch of clear stuff that was thick in clump on drawer and inside the refrigerator has a line of it. I can post pictures if needed. Is this toxic Do I need it repaired?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
http://photobucket.drhinternet.net/click.php/e206726/h21985/s4b02fbecc0/?evt=email_share_media It's not showing up good but here are 6 photos
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Unless something toxic was introduced to the refrigerator by you, if it is still cooling fine, it is not part of the refrigerant system and should be fine if cleaned up with hot soapy water. Without knowing exactly what it is, though, I can only tell you that it did not come from the refrigerator's sealed system.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive zero credit for my work. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

If you touch it it's just like Vaseline
This is brand new we were just taking them out to wash them before use
Did you see the pictures? I sent a link on the second part that I typed but it doesn't show up well

Oh, that is used to make the drawers and shelves slide. Just wipe it out, it is a food grade lubricant.

Sorry, I did not realize it was new.

Yea I called the appliance stores and they didn't know. They told me to contact the manufacturer and they didn't know either. It's just like a thick clear substance like a cross between silicone and Vaseline It is only on one drawer though. I can't find it on the other two. It's a big gob. I haven't used it yet as I was afraid to.

It will be fine, they use a lubricant during manufacture to prevent scuffing the side walls. It must have gotten overlooked during final stages.

I also see a gap in a metal piece I will upload a picture.

Thank you.

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/crickethopper/media/Refrig/Ref%20plate/IMG_5415_zpsphfdiunc.png.html
http://s28.photobucket.com/user/crickethopper/media/Refrig/Ref%20plate/IMG_5417_zpscjgefqhg.png.html A closeup

That is fine, it is just the drip tray for the defrost water. It is nothing to be concerned about.

Does it need fixed? It looks worse than in the picture it has some water droplets coming out of it
Isn't that where the coils are above that?

No, there is nothing to fix, it is how it is supposed to be. The evaporator coil is above that tray and when it goes into defrost, that water goes into that tray and drains to a small pan below the cabinet.

But food is underneath that metal piece and it's cross ways one side has a large gap?

It tapers and drains to a hole in the center, it will be fine.

Let me send a link just to make sure ��

Okay, thank you.

It's still uploading but it's like one side is not attached or something I'm not sure maybe you can tell more from the video because I even looked at the diagram and can't find it. https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/assembly/GSS25GSHBCSS The bottom of the page has the diagrams and it looks different than mine and I can't find the little metal piece

It is part of the number 232 assembly at the link below.

CLICK HERE

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/crickethopper/media/Refrig/Ref%20plate/IMG_5418_zpsoaz1ou53.mp4.html Here's the video

See the link below.

CLICK HERE

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/crickethopper/media/Refrig/Ref%20plate/IMG_5418_zpsoaz1ou53.mp4.html Here's the video. I see some water droplets in there
http://s28.photobucket.com/user/crickethopper/media/Refrig/Ref%20plate/IMG_5418_zpsoaz1ou53.mp4.html
The other ones didn't seem to work try above

It won't load but there is nothing wrong with the tray, it is how it is supposed to be.

Is that where the fresh is behind that bih plate etc as well? Why does it drain there? Were you able to see the last video posted? It shows how big of gap I don't think the pictures did but not sure?

The fresh? The evaporator coil is behind that back panel. What you are seeing is the drip tray. It is all okay, there is nothing that needs to be done with it.

Sorry it auto corrected. It's suppose to read is that where the freon is. Sorry about that. Did you see the video? It's just so strange to see a big difference in one side than the other. It worry me about freon sealing in if anything ever leaks or I'm not sure what drops out of there.

Freon is in the tubing of the coil, that area is not going to seal anything. If the gap looks bad, bend the right side up, it is aluminum and will easily bend to adjust the appearance.

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/crickethopper/media/Refrig/Ref%20plate/IMG_5421_zpsaxgoaarv.jpg.html
Close up flash
Oh wait you said that's not going to seal anything? Is it the location? I'm sorry to sound ignorant

There is no seal, it is not designed to seal. The water just drips down from the coil as it defrosts and drains it to the condensate pan below the cabinet.

Did you see how large the gap was in the last link? I just didn't know whether to post it here. I just worry about toxins coming out of that gap and getting on my food. If you've seen the closeup I posted just last you can see the water whatever it is and it seems it would come on out and drip onto the food etc. So what would that fluid be and could it be contaminated? Again sorry for my ignorance as my other fridge seemed everything was sealed. See my other fridge cracked a large wideness and I worried what worked seal out and they said it would just get worse. I wish I would have spoke to you before buying because I have spoken to you several times over the years. I wished I would have asked you which fridge is set up better for not coming into contact or even a possibility with coils and toxins and drips if any kind? Which what would you say to that anyways by the way. Also if you had a service call and saw mine what would you do?

The gap you are seeing is between the drip tray and the metal cover that has all the holes in it for air flow. Nothing is meant to seal there. If that gap bothers you, bend the tray up on the right side. The refrigerant system is all sealed and there are no toxins in your refrigerator. If the refrigeration system leaks, it leaks as a gas anyway, not a liquid that is going to drip through that gap.

if and this is just an if. If I were to call a technician and you were the one that came what would you or say to me on an actual service call or what would you expect another technician to say or do? Or would they do anything?
I know you don't have time to go into great detail but you seem like you would be able to explain / brief me on how the toxins are sealed in a refrigerator? And why does it drip and what does it drip?
Kelly, Appliance Technician