Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My latch switch is broke ,and they dont make the switch

Customer Question

my latch switch is broke ,and they dont make the switch anymore,i have to bypass the 4 wire switch ,how do i do this
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 3 days
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 2 months ago.

What is the device you are working on here ??

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a waher
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just tell me in writeing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
im hard of hearing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when do i get my answer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
frigadare waher
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
washer
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information? The tag is around the opening where the clothes are loaded.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
frigadare model no. fex831cs0
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Remove the two tan/black wires and tape them together. The other two wires (white and white/red) may be disconnected and taped off, not together, just taped off. Of course, the lid will not lock for safety when the machine is running, so you do this at your own risk and I do not recommend this if you have small children!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is no black wire,theres a white wire with black stripe,tie the white with black stripe to the tan wire
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

No, you should have two tan wires with with black stripes. Can you post a picture of the wires you have, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have a white wire,a tan wire with black stripe ,a white wire with black stripe,a white wire with red stripe
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hmm, the model number you gave me shows a different color scheme. Let me get you a picture prepared. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

See the attached picture. The two wires that were where those red arrows are get taped together. The other two get left in place or individually removed and taped off.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please that switch doesnt look anything like mine ,please i told u the wires i have ,just please tell me which ones to tie togeather
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Are you sure you gave me the right model number? The model you gave me calls for that switch and the wires are the colors I gave you earlier. I don't know what colors to join unless you can post a picture of what you see as the model information is obviously not matching what the manufacturer shows.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Two wires are for the lock and are a line voltage and a neutral. The other two go to the switch. If I tell you the wrong ones, you will create a direct short and very dangerous situation. Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
model frigadare model fex831cs0 its a zero not a o
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

That is the number I am using that apparently has the incorrect information. If you can just post a picture it will be easy to tell you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i cant post a pic ,i dont have a digital camera
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
take a stap at it
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Try tan/black and white/black.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.