Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have the subzero freezer 601F. ice maker is not making

Customer Question

i have the subzero freezer 601F. ice maker is not making ice. i don't see any problems with the drawer ... everything looks normal. is there something else i can do?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sub-Zero is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 12 years. 601
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i would like to try. i recently had my technician over to clean out underneath freezer b/c the freezer was warm. once he cleaned it out it worked but the ice stopped coming. he came back and said something was stuck and he told me he fixed it- but it is still not working
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no that is it
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Typically at 10-14 years of age the icemakers fail. If you fill the mold up with water in the icemaker and it makes that batch then you likely have a fill valve issue. If it does not drop anything just order and replace the icemaker. Order the part from this company. 800-(###) ###-####/a>

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i don't think the ice maker is failing. i think it might be a simple thing. i had this one issue and coincidentally it stopped working at the same time. seems a bit odd. is there anything else i can check?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i want to do this without the call please advise.

The icemaker is a very simple unit on that model. If the arm is down and the unit does not dump the thermostat in the icemaker is bad, 12 years is typically the life on those as the teflon coating even starts to peel off from the mold. You can try to manually start the icemaker by popping the front cover off and using a screwdriver to manually turn the gear clockwise and it should start to rotate on its own with the door switches held down. If not you have a bad icemaker.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the cover at bottom of freezer or cover of actual mechanism in freezer?

The front white square cover on the icemaker itself.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok i will try that

No problem, but just fill the mold up with water or check it if it has water in it frozen as sometimes just the fill tube to the icemaker can be iced up blocking water flow, but that really is about everything you can check for this issue. Have a great day!