Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Service Technician at Ralph's Joy of Living
99018442

I just bought a used Whirlpool side-by-side # ED5KVEXVQ00

Customer Question

I just bought a used Whirlpool side-by-side # ED5KVEXVQ00 and the dairy bin is designed so it will only open 1.5 inches because of the way the back of the frig is designed. This makes it totally useless for storing butter and cheese. I'm tempted to take the lid off and see if we can't cut part of it away so it will open all the way. Can you please advise about this poor design.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2008 was when it was bought new.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Other than that we love the frig.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Nolan Rettig replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

So you can only pull the drawer out an inch and a half and you're considering cutting the lid to it just to have room for stuff?

I am looking at the diagram of the unit now, there are two drawers at the bottom, which one of these are you referring to the top or bottom one?