Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Year old Samsung bottom freezer refrigerator started leaking

Customer Question

Year old Samsung bottom freezer refrigerator started leaking water. Thought it might have to do with the filter so I replaced it. Water leaking won't stop. Any ideas?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model rf28hdedbsr/aa lesss than 1 year old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: where is the water leaking from?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Where are you seeing this water collecting exactly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the floor under the refrigerator
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry I don't believe I'll be able to assist you here, so I'll opt out, but that will open this question to all other Experts, and someone will be along shortly to assist you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is on the floor.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

Hello I am a different tech, this is a common issue the defrost drain is blocked up. You need to remove the items in the refrigerator section. Once they are all out remove the back panel INSIDE the refrigerator to get at the evaporator and Defrost Drain pan under the evaporator. You will see it is all iced over. You need to melt all the ice and that will expose a DRAIN HOLE towards the middle of the drain pan under the evaporator. Clear that out with a steamer, hot water with a turkey baster or compressed air Make sure the drain is working by pouring a half cup of really hot water down it and it should drain nice and fast If so put the unit back together and it will be all fixed!Watch this video to clear that up.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no water inside the refrigerator. Does the above still apply?

So the water is under the entire unit? If so can you pull it out for me and remove the back lower panel?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Didn't apply. Tube in back had leak. Also, filter was not properly seated.