Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Refrigerator Model #GFSS6KKYESS. The freezer is

Customer Question
cold but the refrigerator is...
I have a GE Refrigerator Model #GFSS6KKYESS. The freezer is cold but the refrigerator is not getting under 55 degrees. I removed the evaporator cover and the evaporator coil is frosting up a little. I replaced the both fan motors and they work. Still no cold refrigerator.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 5 years old Model # GFSS6KKYESS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
7/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 3 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This is actually a very common issue with your refrigerator and it means that your cooling fan in the refrigerator isn't running or the evaporator isn't defrosting anymore. If you look at part number 97 in the diagram below, this is the part you need to remove so that you can see the silver evaporator and the drain trough below it. Pull all the drawers out and remove this panel. Now if you remove this panel and the silver coils are completely packed with frost, you actually have a defrost issue and you'll need to thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer and likely replace the defrost temperature sensor clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. Below is a link to the sensor. If they are not packed with frost, close the doors and then open them quickly after 15 seconds to see if the fan is running. If it's not running then replace the fan motor.

CLICK HERE for sensor

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I have replaced the evaporator fan motors in the last couple days. They do come on I believe. I removed the temp sensor and ohmed it and it has resistance and does change when you hold an ice cube against it. However I did just notice that When I attempt to adjust refrigerator temperature, the digital reading on the display says it is 41 degrees and my thermometer inside reads 72. ??? Does that mean that it is the temp sensor that you recommended?

No, the sensor link I gave you was for the defrost sensor. If your sensor is just reading off, then the temperature sensor for the refrigerator section needs to be replaced. It's located in the same area behind that vent panel, but it's a different part number. That sensor isn't clipped onto the silver coils and it's part number WR50X10058. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for sensor

Other than that if the sensor didn't fix the issue then the main control board on the back of the entire refrigerator is just not controlling the refrigerator properly and would need to be replaced.

Again, I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Will that sensor stop the refrigerator from getting cold and make the evaporator a little frosty?

It would cause the refrigerator to not cool yes. But the evaporator should be lightly frosted from top to bottom when the unit is trying to cool. It's when it's packed with frost that you have a problem. But if the evaporator is frosted lightly from top to bottom, then the refrigerator is trying to cool which means that either you happen to catch it when the unit was actually trying to cool (even though most of the time it's not) or the fan isn't running.

How often should the fan run?

It should be running all the time when the doors are shut and the unit is trying to cool down. Any times the coils are frosting the fan should be running.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

I had to go out of town for a week. Honestly I am still a little confused on which sensor to replace? The defrost sensor or the refrigerator temp sensor??

The defrost sensor... It's the one clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils in the freezer.

Sorry Tyler, I just got back home from vacation. Before I run to the parts store today I just want to recap and make sure we are on the same page. The refrigerator wont cool past 55 degrees. The freezer works fine. The evaporator fans are new. The temperature on the digital display says it is 34 degrees inside the fridge but my thermometer in the fridge says it is 55 degrees. Does the refrigerator temp sensor control the temp or just send temp for the display. I am confused as to which sensor you want me to replace.

I'm sorry this has now been going on for almost 2 weeks and you continue to reply back with the same questions so I'm going to opt out and wish you the best.

Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 3 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If the display is showing 34* but it is actually 55* F, then the refrigerator thermistor is faulty. See the attached pages. I will get you a link to the correct part.

1c7b7bc6-d685-40ae-8407-...jpg1c7b7bc...jpg0496e3ca-f9d3-4c15-8c67-...jpg0496e3c...jpgd2dc39b1-4eff-4d6f-b579-...jpgd2dc39b...jpg

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive zero credit for my work. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

would this sensor prevent the fridge from getting cold enough?

Of course, it is telling the control that it "sees" the fresh food temperature at 34* F! So, the control is not going to continue cooling that section......

You sent a link for the temp sensor. Isnt this different from the thermistor?

The sensor is the same thing, it is an electronic thermostat that changes resistance with temperature. It may be called, sensor, thermistor, etc.

Okay because I am getting confused. The last guy sent me 2 different part numbers. Is this the one that clips onto he evaporator or different one?
It appears that the one you sent me is not available

Did you see the pages I sent you?

The pages I sent you show exactly where the sensor you need is located.

Okay I see it. Any idea where to get one? The link you sent says it will be 2-3 weeks to get it

Sears has the part in stock below.

CLICK HERE

Thank you Kelly, Sears says a week as well. But you have been very helpful. I wish I could pick up the part today somewhere though lol,

You can check locally, using part number on those pages.

Thank you!

You have all the information you need to get your refrigerator going. I kindly ask that you rate using the star scale at the top of the page at this time. You can post back anytime after rating, should you have follow up questions.

Hey Kelly, I ordered and received the sensor you sent me the link for, after removing the LED light cover and removing the sensor, I noticed that the new one is not right as the plug in is different. However after removing the old sensor and reinstalling it, the temp now reads correctly but the temp in fridge still wont go below degrees even though it is set at 34 degrees. The freezer is at -2 degrees. I am not sure where to go next?

I am unable to help any further, unfortunately. It appears that you are not able to rate or are unwilling and I cannot invest any more time. I will see if another may want to help.

How can I rate when the problem has not been corrected and the wrong parts are being ordered?
I have not heard from anyone??
Kelly, Appliance Technician