Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in appliance repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses in England.
15468697

Ok.........I think I know how to get back to you for

Customer Question

Hi Daniel............ok.........I think I know how to get back to you for additional questions. What I would like to know is HOW did my drain (in my freezer/refrig) ever plug up to begin with. In other words how can I prevent it from happening ONCE I fix it?
Additionally, I unfortunately have not had time to fix it, rather just clear out the sheet ice that forms regularly on the bottom part of my freezer. I am going to attempt to fix it today or tomorrow, my question is once I get the drawers or baskets of my freezer removed, that is how I would access the hex screws and I would be able to see where I should put hot water to melt the frozen tube? How do I prevent this from happening again?
Thanks. Neal
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

Sometimes what can cause this is a piece of ice falls in the wrong place and blocks the hole up. Or somtimes it can just gunge up overtime and block up. So once its defrosted fingers crossed that should be fine.

But what some people do is get a piece or copper wire and strip the sleve of it so its just bear wire.

Wrapp it around the heater element thats under the evaporator and hand the other end in the hole. So what happens then is when the defrost heater comes on the copper wire gets warm as well so this will prevent the hole from freezing up again.

Also when you have removed the back panel inside the freezer you will be able to see it all from there as it will be stright forward from there as once you see it it will all make sense.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You are terrific...........hang in there with me and I will try and fix it in the next 24 hours............the ordeal with the copper wire I think I intellectually understand........but I feel first things first......and will try and fix it straight up as it hasn't happened since I bought the refrig 5 or so years ago...would you unplug the refrig/freezer before you work the freezer panels...........as is a pain in the as_ to get it unplugged.............(in a log cabin) but IT IS POSSIBLE to unplug
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

For safety its recommended but i do these without unpluging it as most of the wires are at the top and are insuated anyway so you should be fine. Just turn it off at the controls and that should be fine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great I hope to get to it this afternoon
Thanks Daniel
Neal