Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Air range top does not stop sparking sometimes after one…

Customer Question
My Jen Air range...

My Jen Air range top does not stop sparking sometimes after one of the burners ignites.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

1999 installation model CVGX2423B

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am an electrical engineer by education and have been designing industrial controls for 50 years.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
7/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Does this happen to one specific burner or just any one of them when ever it wants to?

It happens most of the time on one and sometimes on another but never on the other two burners.
When should I expect a response?

ok if it happens on just one ,make sure that the burner body is clean ,the sparking should stop once the flame has lite and the spark system uses the carbon in the flame as a path to ground.

if it can not see that path to ground it will not stop sparking.

also is the outlet that this unit is plugged into is it properly polarized and grounded?

I have cleaned the burner bodies and if the outlet was the problem would not it be happening on all four burners?

not always if it is the outlet.

due to the fact that on a 120 volt outlet it also uses the Neutral line as a path to ground also .

I will check it but am 99.9% sure that is not the problem. I know that neutral and ground are bonded in the power distribution panel so there can be a volt or so difference between the two depending upon the wire size, length, and current level.

The only thing it could be in the unit is possibly a loose ground connection or a spark module.

NORMALLY if it is a spark module issue all burners will spark lite and not stops sparking or it will not spark at all.

But if you have this issue with just one or two burners and not every burner after the flame is lite it is a grounding issue.

if you have a soft wire bristle brush brush the igniter tip and the burner bodies next to the igniter.

And of course make sure you do not have a fan or a window open that would be blowing the flame away from the igniter tip .

OK, I will check grounding for each unit.
No fan, no window, and have cleaned around both igniter tips already. I understand proving flame via carbon in flame after ignition as I have designed industrial burners up to 16 MBTU utilizing flame rods prof of ignition.
Going to work on it some more now.

ok good luck if you need any parts information just reply back to me!

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time