Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Profile fridge PSS26N STCSS, The frig works Ok for a time…

Customer Question
My Profile fridge PSS26N...

My Profile fridge PSS26N STCSS

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

The frig works Ok for a time - with temps 0 and 37 then suddenly starts to warm to about 15 and 44 after a while it cools back to desired temps ! I am capable of replacing parts but am not sure what is most likely to be at fault - ideas please - Thanks Derek

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Ge Profile PSS26N STCSS about 8 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I will do the work if it is just replacing a part - the problem has cropped up several times over the past several months

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
7/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Theres a few things that can cause this fault, Either the evaporator unit inside the freezer section, The fan in the freezer or the air damber inside the fridge section.

As on this all the cooling is done inside the freezer and the fan in there blows te cold air through the air damber into the fridge cavity. So if you are loosing the cooling something is going wrong with 1 of them.

Then first thing to do is empty the freezer and from there remove the back panel inside the freezer.

Behind there you will see the evaporator. If this is covered in ice then use a hairdryer and melt the ice on there.

Then retry it and see how it goes from there.

But if the evaporator is fine then check the fan inside the freezer. But if its working at the time thenyou wont really find a fault in there.

So what you need to do is monitor it and when the fridge goes warm again listen inside the freezer section and see if you can hear the fan in there running.

If you do then the fault is going to be the air damper inside the fridge. This wont be opening up to allow the cold air to be blown into the fridge section.

So in this case the air damper inside the fridge behind the rear panels at the top will need to be replaced.

So check them if you can and see what you find from there.

Hi Daniel I emptied the freezer and removed the 4 screws to the back panel but am having trouble removing it - however I am a bit suspicious this is the problem as the temperatures do come down to the required levels for a day or two before once again rising to about 14 degrees - also I can hear the fan is working in the freezer - if it was iced up wouldn't it not cool down at all.

Its more then likely not the issue but at least you can rule it out.

To be honest its more then likely the air damper inside the fridge section playing up

is this the part ? Damper Control Assembly

Yep thats it. The part number for it is WR49X10091

Hi Daniel - so far so good - I orders the part yesterday - should be ready to install next Thursday - will let you know then
Cheers Derek
Hi Daniel Just replaced the Damper and the water valve
The water from the water spigot is still a very limited stream - takes forever to fill a class.
Am waiting to see if the new damper has fixed the erratic cooling situation - seems to be taking a long time to get down to a reasonable temp - was 26/75 by the time I had replaced both parts
Hi Daniel
Please answer as I am disappointed and frustrated - I just paid over $150 for a new Damper and water valve - spend 2 hours fitting them and nothing has changed. If I am forced to review you at this stage it will not be good!
I just bought a main control board and a Thermister so hope this fixes the problem - what do you think
Problem: The frig works Ok for a time - with temps 0 and 37 then suddenly starts to warm to as high as 15 and 44 after a while it cools back to desired temps !
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician