Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kitchenaide ice machine has started making a loud humming

Customer Question

Kitchenaide ice machine has started making a loud humming noise. Still making ice though
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Mod KUIA18NNJS8 about 10 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Hopefully, have already replaced water pump several years ago
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

You'll need to determine if the loud humming noise is coming from down below the icemaker or inside the icemaker. If it's inside the icemaker, the circulation pump is going bad and needs to be replaced. If it's down below the unit, then try to listen and see if the noise comes and goes. If so, then your drain pump below the ice machine is going bad and that's a $350 part so it's not cheap at all. If the noise is constant as long as the icemaker is running, that would be a bad compressor and that's about $650 to have replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank u for quick response. I will try to determine exactly where the noise is coming from
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.
Ok good luck
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?