Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Thermador professional pro-grand dual fuel range

Customer Question

I have a Thermador professional pro-grand dual fuel range PD48. About 10 years old. One of my six gas burners won't auto-ignite. I can light it with a match so gas does flow when turned on. So I assume my igniter is bad/failing? Any idea what the part I need to replace is called? Part number? Easy replacement that I can do? Or do I need a technician? Thanks, Jeff
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: a year. not severe, just one of six burners won't auto ignite.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if easy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, my original send was clear
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Use sand paper to clean the igniter tip and the area of the burner it sparks to. Does the behavior change?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just cleaned. No change
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Do you see it sparking, even though it is not lighting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hear a tick that is 1/2 as loud as the other igniters and no spark.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thus I assume I need a new igniter for my Thermador professional pro-grand dual fuel range PD48 (bout 10 years old). What is the part called I need to replace? Part number? Can I replace from above (the burned deck) without disassembly? Or do I need a technician?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Can you turn the burner that is not working on and then another and see if it will self ignite then?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bad burner easily lights with a match 1 inch away, and tested from multiple sited of the burner, so gas is flowing. I did your test for 10 seconds and stopped without lighting. Don't want to build up a gas plume.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

So it will not light at all even with other burners turned on at the same time? If so, I believe the igniter electrode is faulty.

May I please have your complete model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No model markings visible on the range.However my user manual says... Thermador Professional PRO-GRAND Dual Fuel Range Model PD48
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

See the attached pages. Let me know if that does not fit your model. When you get the electrode out, be sure to inspect the wire and connector for issues!

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top of the page before you leave today? You may post back anytime if you have follow up questions! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I replace? With pliers can I simply pull it up and out? And then just push and seat the new one down into place? Or do I need to disassemble something, etc? Or should I really have a technician do it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Did you see the attached pages I sent? They show you how to replace it. It does require moderate disassembly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did see the 2 pages.But it also looks like I can just unscrew a threaded venturi tube and the burner base w/ attached electrode comes free? Yes / No?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Without knowing your exact and complete model I cannot tell you with 100% certainty.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.