Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE Microwave oven is making a noise in the fan area

Customer Question

My GE Microwave oven is making a noise in the fan area inside the oven? What is the reason?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It brand new: installed in my new house in 2010. Serial #: HT901319 U;
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Serial #: HT901319; Model: JVM15400M388; Made: May 2010. It makes a squeeking sound when it is turned on to heat food.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Of course, the unit isn't supposed to be making a squeaking noise when running which means that your fan motor bearing is going out. The entire microwave would need to be uninstalled and the fan motor replaced to resolve this issue if you wanted to fix the issue. The part is about $150 and if you had a technician come out to do the repair it would be another $150, so it may be better to get a new appliance if you can't do it yourself, but that is up to you. Below is a link to the fan motor if you wanted to order and replace it yourself.

CLICK HERE for fan motor

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?