Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a gas dryer Mo. # dv42h5200gw not heating. I have 120

Customer Question

I have a gas dryer Mo. # dv42h5200gw not heating. I have 120 vac at the black wire on the relay for the igniter and coils, but not at the output of this relay. I've replaced the control board with the same results, I can put a jumper between the black and blue leads by-passing the relay and everything works. I've actually replace the control board the second time thinking I had a bad new board. I'm not sure where to turn at this point.
JA: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I'm sorry. It's a Samsung guessing about 4-6 years old. Mo # again is DV42H5200GW
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I do
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that covers it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Is the motor starting but it is just not heating?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
motor runs
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Okay, have you tested the resistance reading of the temperature sensor right at the board to see what input the board is getting from it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not. What should that resistance be?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Just one second, please.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thermistor resistance 10K Ω at 25°C 77°F (Blue & Red wire)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have 11.3 k
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

That is right at the PCB with the connector unplugged from the board?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry but I have to leave for an appointment. May I respond to your answer when I;m back?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Actually it was right at the sensor
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Of course, thank you. You must test through the wiring to get an accurate look at what the control is seeing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did, and and got 11.3 k also.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hmm, okay. So the control should not be sensing a problem there. Let me research this a bit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, Thank you. I'll be leaving for an appointment
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Take care, I will post while you are away.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

See the tech sheet attached. Can you start a Service Cycle or Continuous Run Cycle and see if it will heat at all in either of those cycles?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am still in need of help. When I go into the service mode (although they call it smart install in the service info), under checking motor and heater, end of test I have an he code (motor or heater not working). When I start the test, motor runs fine, igniter now glows and flame does come on. However, I do have the front off and the drum out of the cabinet. Everything is connected except the drum light. Do I need to put the drum back in and the front back on for testing purposes?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Odd that it heats in the service cycle but not in the regular cycle. That would surely support failure of the control system since the temperature sensor shows to test good. What part number did you replace?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's what I kept coming up with. The # of the control I replaced is DC92-00669Y.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I am not sure on this one. I am going to open your question up for the other techs to get a look at. If they have any ideas, they will post to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's been 2 days now, is anyone else able to help me out here?