John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a whirlpool side by side refridgerator. No air is

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool side by side refridgerator. No air is blowing into the refrigerator. The freezer works fine.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Probably about 16 years old. The model number is *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I know of
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not at home right now. The freezer works perfectly, it is just the refridgerator part that is not getting cold air, The top vent has a small amount of air but the lower vent has no cold air coming form it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

No air is supposed to come out the bottom vent---that is the return air to go into the freezer. When you can do what I requested just post back and let me know because without knowing what I asked, it's just a guessing game.

QUOTE:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would there be a build up of frost in the freezer?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also would there be an issue with freezer temperature?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

sometimes, depending on how long the issue has gone on and what is wrong. Again, until you can do what I requested, we can not move on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. thanks for you time
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

good luck and let me know.