John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Whirlpool fridge is cooling but the freezer temp won't go

Customer Question

My Whirlpool fridge is cooling but the freezer temp won't go below 50 degrees.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Purchased in 2009. It is a side by side 22 CF
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Only if I have to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The fridge runs but just doesn't get cold enough.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

Also, the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?