Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a older Sub Zero freezer. Recently ice formed on the

Customer Question

I have a older Sub Zero freezer. Recently ice formed on the rear of the freezer and created large iceicles. the bottom basket was frozen i place. I removed everything, turned off the freezer and used a hair dryer to free up the bottom basket. I then removed the rear panel and removed all the ice. I cleaned the coils, turn on the freezer and now after a month it has happened again. ???Model 201FD
Seal is good as door will not open for several seconds after closing
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Either your unit isn't defrosting on it's own properly or you're low on freon. Remove the rear of the freezer again and look at the silver evaporator coils. If the coils are packed with frost from top to bottom and left to right, you have a defrost issue. If your coils only have ice on part of them and are completely silver on 1/4 or more, then you have a freon leak and would need a technician to fix the leak. Now if you have a defrost issue, you would need a multimeter to test resistance through the heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils. If you don't have resistance, replace the heater. If you do have resistance, there is a little sensor clipped onto the top of the silver coils and that controls the defrost so you'd need to replace that sensor.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tyler, Thanks for the prompt response. The area I live in does not have a lot of honest Sub Zero repair people. Needless to say that is frustrating. I am getting a great deal of ice and the icicles are 3-4 inches wide. behind the interior back wall and on the bottom of the freezer. The 30+ year old freezer is keeping the temp at -15 degrees. Could I have a drain or frozen drain problem? There are coils on the top of the freezer with a fan and this area look good.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

If you're getting clear solid ice, then yes it's possible you have a drain issue. If that's the case then when you remove the back panel you'll see a trough below the silver coils and clear ice will be pouring over the top of the trough. If that's the case, use a hair dryer and thaw all the ice out, then shot hot water down the drain hole use a turkey baster. Next, blow compressed air down through the drain hole to clear all the way down to the drain pan below the unit.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tyler,
I was not ignoring your efforts nor did I fail to rate your advice because I was unhappy. I needed time to check out what you told me and I felt you were giving advice for the wrong model sub zero and had to make arrangements to be able to empty it out and open it up again.1) can I email you several pictures?
2) my drain appears to be frozen and I ended with quite a bit of clear ice on the floor and back wall (behind the cover plate) of the freezer. I plan to let the freezer be off for 24 hours in hopes of the drain unfreezing. There were small amounts of ice on the ceiling mounted coils, a few about the size of pop corn kernels. otherwise except for the drain coming lose everything looks pretty good. I installed a small piece of plastic pipe inside the drain line coming off the part that must channel the water into the drain and when I put it back together the drain was not properly aligned with the drain line which had broken. The unit stayed at -15 degrees for 5 days. Should that rule out a lack of freon? The fact that I am getting ice in the freezer ...could that mean the problem is only a frozen drain line?Thanks for your patienceMark Gilbert
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Model of sub zero Freezer 201FD, Installed June 1982
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never mind about a response