Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Jenn-air side by side fridge temperature keeps going down

Customer Question
to 20 degrees JA: Can you...
My Jenn-air side by side fridge temperature keeps going down to 20 degrees
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is nine years old. Where do I find the model number?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It depends.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. It just freezes almost everything.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
7/26/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 3 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

jenn air refrigerator model#jcb2287kef getting colder and colder. Temperate adjustment not working.
jenn air refrigerator model#jcb2287kef getting colder and colder. Temperature adjustment not working.
What should we try?

One moment while I pull up your model.

OK so on this model if the temperature keeps dropping to 20 degrees, your damper is sticking open allowing air from the freezer to keep going into the refrigerator section. The damper was re-designed half way through production so there is a series break. You'll need to contact a parts store with your full model and serial to see which damper part number you need but if you click on the link below, the part you need to replace is 7.

CLICK HERE for parts

As you can see, 2 dampers are listed due to the series break. This damper is located in the upper back left corner of the refrigerator section. Just order and replace it and you'll be good to go again.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Could you explain please how you determined that? I fix things better when I understand why the problem is a problem.

Only 2 things can cause a refrigerator to get too cold---a bad thermostat or a bad damper. The thermostat is what tells the refrigerator when to open and close the damper---but the thermostat can't be intermittent. The damper is the part that opens and closes a flap to allow air into the refrigerator because the refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer section. The fact that the issue is intermittent means that the damper is sticking open sometimes which is why it needs to be replaced.

Now if I misunderstood what you were saying by "keeps going down to 20 degrees" and you're saying it stays at 20 degrees and never raises, then you could have a bad thermostat sensor. Below is a link to the sensor you'd need to locate. You'd have to cut the wires and put the sensor in ice water. Test resistance of the sensor in ice water and it should be 10k ohms or so if the sensor is good. If not, replace the sensor--otherwise replace the damper as I mentioned before.

CLICK HERE to see sensor

It isn't intermittent, it's staying too cold the whole time. I type in a different setting in the conttrols and it immediate reverts back to 26 or 27 degrees.
any way we can tell if its the sensor vs. the damper? I'd hate to order the wrong part.

OK then what you said just wasn't clear to me---so again, it could be either a bad thermostat sensor or a bad damper. You'd have to cut the wires and test the sensor as I explained before to determine which is bad.

hmm. that's the only way? The damper assembly certainly looks easier to execute. Those parts in that assembly just click together, right? Easy to dossasemble to replace the part? And where is the sensor in case I want to test it?

Yes, that is the only way. I'm not there so I can't say where the sensor is located but it's usually near the top of the refrigerator in the control panel area or behind a small vent cover toward the back of the refrigerator on the right or left side wall.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc