Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I inherited an old may tag washer when I purchased my home.

Customer Question

I inherited an old may tag washer when I purchased my home. The use from the tub to a fitting is leaking (not the drain hose). This middle has a sealed frame on the sides and back. The only joints seem to be at the front. How to I get access to the inside to replace the hose?
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I cannot find any documentation. There is no middle name on this Maytag. It look really old. Is it possible that the top may hinge up blowing the front to come off? I am guessing it is about 15 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I looks for an identification plate on the back or side. There is a plate under the top lid. It is barley readable. I think the model is 'A608' and serial # 567661YQ.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

All access is through the front and top of this washer. To remove the front panel there are 2 screws near the bottom of the front panel just below the crease. Unscrew these 2 screws and the front panel will hinge forward and up. Then you have access to the 2 bolts going up into the top panel located in the front right and left corners. Remove these screws and the top panel will hinge up and backwards. Now you have as much access as you can get to access the hoses and such around the tub.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.